Sedation Dentistry provides patients who experience severe nervousness and anxiety at the dentist’s office with a more relaxed and pleasant dental experience. Sedation Dentistry utilizes light sedation techniques such as “laughing gases” to help calm the patient so that treatments can be done and they can maintain excellent oral health.
Overview of Dental Anxiety
Dental visits can be an anxiety-inducing experience for approximately 20% of potential patients. Dental anxiety can stem from a horrific dental experience in the past or just a general fear of medical procedures in general. For some people, the fear of the dentist is so great that they don’t come in for their regular cleanings. Instead, they wait till they are in unbearable pain from a toothache or other oral infection that means that the damage has already been done.
Inhaled sedation also is known as “laughing gases” work almost instantly and can wear off pretty rapidly to ensure that you can continue your day without any severe interruptions to your regular schedule. These kinds of laughing gases wear off quickly enough to allow you to drive yourself home after your appointment.
For those needing more relaxation, we have oral forms of anxiety control that come in the form of pills. You take the pills before your dental visit, and they provide heavier sedation to make your dental experience more comfortable.
Self-Soothing Techniques For Calmer Dental Visits
If you’re not comfortable with the idea of sedation for dental work, you might also consider self-soothing techniques that work well for many patients. Many patients find simple self-soothing techniques work just as well as sedation. Some of the following are great tips to help you have a dental experience that you desire without even needing sedation to help calm your nerves or anxiety:
- Talk to your dentist about your reservations and fears at your visit before the oral procedure part of the appointment begins. Simply having an idea of what the procedure can help calm your nerves.
- If you know you need sedation, asking your dentist about your options at your next visit can help you determine which option you are the most comfortable.
- Laser dentistry is developing rapidly and can make your appointment less uncomfortable than many other traditional forms of dentistry.
- Find a dentist that you feel comfortable working with as that can make a huge difference in the levels of anxiety you experience throughout your visit.
- Ensure that your dentist takes your treatment at the right speed for you and ask them to wait if you become overwhelmed and feel overly-anxious. Knowing that you are in control of what happens eases many people’s anxiety.
These tips can help you feel more comfortable, and in control of the dental experience, you have at your next appointment.
Sedation Dentistry Can Help You
Whether self-soothing techniques work for you, or you opt for sedation gases or pills, knowing what your options are can help you feel more comfortable next time you get into the dentist’s chair. Don’t wait till you have oral health issues to get dental treatment. Preventative care can help keep your oral health up throughout your entire life and it’s an investment in yourself that is well worth the time and effort.
At Simply Smiles, we are here to provide patients with the tools that they need to feel comfortable in the dentist’s chair, including the forms above of sedation for those who need it to get their quality dental care. If you need sedation dentistry to get the oral health care please feel free to contact us at Simply Smiles to set up an appointment for a consultation at your convenience. We look forward to working with you!