Cosmetic Dentistry Today
Posted on: Thursday, April 5th, 2012
Since ancient times, the human smile has been a focal point for beauty. Straight white teeth are essential to the traditional concept of outward beauty, perhaps because dental care was a rare luxury until recently. If magazines and television shows were any indication, it would seem to the outside observer that every single person in today’s society has perfect teeth. Just how does every actor and model achieve that flawless smile? Through cosmetic dentistry, of course!
There are a wide range of procedures that can improve the appearance of your teeth. Some of these methods have been in development for thousands of years.
- Teeth Whitening is perhaps the most popular cosmetic treatment of all time. Today’s most common method is to use a bleaching agent to lighten the enamel without causing damage. This can be performed professionally at the dental office and also with a take-home kit that includes custom whitening trays.
- Bonding and Recontouring can change the size and shape of teeth, as well as small problems such as chips and cracks. Bonding is the application of white composite material to cover or add to the tooth structure, while recontouring smooths the surface of the tooth into a more desirable shape.
- Inlay and onlays are fabricated from ceramic and cemented into place to repair cracks, chips, or missing parts of a tooth.
- Veneers can hide any number of imperfections with custom-crafted porcelain. The fingernail-thin shells are applied to the front of problematic teeth for a lovely appearance.
- Ceramic crowns are shaped to look like your teeth and cemented into place using an original tooth as a base. This form of replacement can cover issues such as severe discoloration or cracks. Also used as a restorative measure, the crown can only fit into place after the original tooth has been reduced in size.
- Invisalign® braces provide an inconspicuous and convenient method of straightening teeth. The clear plastic trays will slowly move teeth into the desired position over time, but can be removed for eating and cleaning.
Full Smile Makeover
When a patient is unhappy with their smile, we’re unhappy too. We want you to blaze with confidence when you flash those pearly whites. If you’re not satisfied with your teeth, let us know what’s holding back that smile. We can do a full exam and work with you to create a custom plan of action that will bring your teeth to their healthiest, most attractive potential. Call today to find out which cosmetic dentistry methods we can use to give you a smile makeover that will last a lifetime.
Simply Smiles Sarasota is your Florida source for the latest dentistry services. Set up your free dental consultation with Dr. Gekht today by calling 941-921-4654.