Dental Implants – The Modern Way to Replace Missing Teeth
What are the Advantages of Choosing Dental Implants?
The main advantage of implant treatment is that it replaces a tooth in its entirety; a small titanium post is inserted into the jawbone, closely replicating a natural tooth root. The post bonds strongly with the surrounding bone and is used to support a new tooth. By replacing the tooth root, jawbone loss is halted ensuring the bone surrounding the post remains healthy and strong.
Treatment is extremely versatile as implants can be used to support single crowns or bridges. If you currently wear dentures, implants can be used to stabilize them or to replace them completely with a fixed arch of teeth. Imagine no longer worrying about loose dentures or sore gums.
Our implant teeth are made from the highest quality materials, closely replicating natural tooth shades. We take a great deal of care when matching your new teeth, so they will blend in seamlessly with existing teeth. Each implant is optimally positioned to function just like a real tooth. Once treatment is completed you’ll have the confidence to smile, talk and will be able to eat whatever you want.
Implants are easy to look after and they should be brushed twice daily and flossed once-a-day. It’s important that you visit Simply Smiles for regular check-ups and hygienist appointments to maintain your dental implants.
What is the Procedure for Dental Implants?
Most people are suitable for implant treatment but your first step is to book a consultation with Dr. Kira Gekht. An initial examination is required to assess your suitability and Dr. Gekht will check your teeth, gums and jaws and will review your medical health. If she feels you will benefit from dental implants, you’ll be provided with a personalized treatment plan, detailing the procedures required, the time needed to complete treatment and the costs.
Most implant procedures will take several months to complete, but the exact time-frame can vary. The process is typically divided into several stages:
- Detailed diagnostic tests are taken, including CT scans and x-rays. These are used to assess the quantity and quality of your jawbone and to plan the actual implant placement.
- The implant post is inserted into the jawbone during a small surgical procedure. This is carried out under local anesthetic, or if you prefer conscious sedation can be provided.
- Afterwards your implant post will need time to Osseo-integrate with your jawbone, enabling new bone cells to grow on and around the post, firmly holding it in position to support your new restoration.
- Next, an abutment is attached to the post and a further healing period is required.
- Finally, your new restoration of a crown, bridge or implant supported denture will be made and is attached to the abutment so it is firmly held in place.
With dental implants, no-one need know you are missing teeth.
If you are interested in finding out more about this treatment and how it could help you, why not contact us to book your free consultation? Contact us online or call at 941-921-4654 today.